You are here:   Cambria > Books > 1876-7 Johnstown Dir > Ebensburg
1876-7 Johnstown City Directory


EBENSBURG.

     The seat of justice of Cambria county, Pennsylvania, is situated on the western slope of the Allegheny Mountains, eleven miles from Cresson, with which point it is connected by a branch railroad. The situation of the town is very near the mountain summit, and from the center of its main street the horizon sinks away in all directions -- the sun setting below the level of the observer. Dense forests of hemlock, beech and other varieties of American mountain woods, are accessible in all directions, and the roads leading through them affort delightful drives, while bringing into view many bits of charming scenery, relieved by the soft ferns and thick growing laurel, nourished to perfection by the limpid waters everywhere issuing from the gigantic mountain. Its altitude gives Ebensburg a delightfully cool and bracing atmosphere -- the air coming freely from the long reaches of primeval verdure, laden with a rich fragrance, as grateful to the senses as it is invigorating to the system. For years the town has been a favority resort for families, who come here early in the season and remain until the frosts of autumn indicate a return of salubrity to the crowded cities. The accommodations provided for these sojourners are on an extensive scale, and probably as much quiet enjoyment is to be had here as at any place of the kind in America.

     A peculiarity of Ebensburg is the predominance of the Welsh element in its population and idiosyncrasies. The name of the county is an ancient name of Wales: The town perpetuates the name of Eben, a son of its founder, who came from Wales; the Welsh language is commonly heard in its streets, and religious services are regularly held in the strange dialect. A short distance off, in the forest, the ruins of Beulah -- a village founded before Ebensburg, and subsequently abandoned by its inhabitants -- stand in dilapidated seclusion, crumbling walls and overgrown gardens showing how rapidly the work of man yields to the forces of nature when the battle of the former ceases.

BOROUGH OFFICERS.

GEORGE HUNTLEY, Burgess.
 
COUNCIL.
JAMES MYERS, West Ward.
JOHN A. BLAIR, West Ward.
E. J. HUMPHREY, West Ward.
L. W. DAVIS, East Ward.
ALVIN EVANS, East Ward.
JOHN J. EVANS, East Ward.
T. W. DICK, Secretary.
 

COUNTY OFFICERS.

JUDICIARY.
JOHN FLANNIGAN,
REESE J. LLOYD,
Associate Judges..
JOHN CAMPBELL,
J. D. PARISH,
REESE S. LLOYD,
County Commissioners.
J. A. KENNEDY, Commissioners' Clerk.
HERMAN BAUMER, Sheriff.
N. P. FREIDHOFF, Treasurer.
JAMES M. SINGER, Register and Recorder.
BERNARD McCOLGAN, Prothonotary.
 

CHURCHES.

Baptist, Rev. T. R. Jones, pastor, Horner, w. w.
Catholic, Church of the Holy Name, Rev. J. Boyle, pastor, Julian.
First Congregational, Rev. J. Hughes, pastor, High, e. w.
Disciples, Rev. F. J. Wilfling, pastor, High, w. w.
Presbyterian, Rev. J. N. McGonnigle, pastor.
Welsh M. E., Crawford and Julian.


Date Created: 30 Jul 2003
Last Updated: 15 Apr 2008
Copyright 2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors