|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||371|
and has nine children, all of whom are living. The family now reside in Jackson township, Cambria county. Susan Jane is the wife of W. W. Dunmire, of Jackson township, and has four children, all living. Esther was married to John Gray, of Conemaugh, Cambria county. Five children were born to this union, and all are living. Flora Bell married Daniel Custis, of Conemaugh, Cambria county, and their two children are both living. Of the boys, two, Harry and Webster, are unmarried. The latter is a druggist in Conemaugh, and the former is an engineer for the Pennsylvania railroad.
Howard Davis married Martha Jane Long, of Washingtown township, Indiana county. She is a daughter of John Long, who was educated in Ohio, and taught school for about thirteen terms in Indiana and Westmoreland counties. After teaching he followed the pursuit of farming for a number of years. He died February 9, 1883.
Our subject was educated in the common schools, and followed the lumber business in partnership with his father for five years. Later, he came to Conemaugh, where be carried on the butcher trade for four years, or until the great flood, which destroyed his place of business, he barely saving himself and family. After the flood he was appointed postmaster, but resigned that office after three months, and embarked in the furniture and undertaking business, in which he is now engaged. He is assisted in his business by his son Oscar, an energetic youth of fifteen years. Of his other four children one is dead.
He is an ardent republican and a prominent political leader of his section. He was formerly constable of Jackson township, and in February, 1894, was honored with the office of mayor of Conemaugh borough. Mr. Davis discharges the duties of his office with tact
and judgment, fully sustaining the high reputation which he has gained among his fellow citizens.
JOHN L. STIBICH, superintendent of the Goenner brewery of Johnstown, is a son of Joseph and Margaret (Pfarr) Stibich, and was born August 16, 1862, in what was then Cambria city, now the sixteenth ward of the city of Johnstown.