|You are here: Cambria > Books > Souvenir of Loretto Centenary|
|Souvenir of Loretto Centenary|
LORETTO, January, 1856.
CARROLLTOWN AND VICINITY.
CONTRIBUTED BY A BENEDICTINE FATHER.About one-half mile south of the present St. Benedict's Church. Carrolltown, on the northern slope of the "old Loretto Road" were seen until recent years the ruins of buildings erected at the beginning of this century by a colony of Trappist monks. Towards the end of the last century they were driven from their home in Europe by the storms of the revolution then raging; and first fled to Switzerland, from which country, threatened by the French, they went to Russia, thence to Prussia; and at last a small band of them under the guidance of Rev. Urban Guillet came to the place above described. It seems though that our severe winter climate did not agree with them; so in June. 1803, they abandoned their settlement and went to Kentucky.
Under the direction of Father Gallitzin a church dedicated to St. Joseph was erected about 1830, or somewhat earlier, at a spot three miles north of Carrolltown called Hart's Sleep-