|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.1|
|History of Cambria County, V.1|
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.
It seems paradoxical that a physician should locate in this county while it was still a wilderness with very few people. However, such was the case, for Dr. Francis came to Ebensburg in 1796, although it is uncertain how long he remained there. He and his wife walked from Philadelphia in company with George Roberts and his little colony, who were about two months on the journey.
In the year 1800 it is evident there was none in the Indian village of Conemaugh, or Johnstown, as we find from the book of original entry of John Horner that he paid Jacob Good fifteen shillings in state currency "for going to Greensburg to the Dockter." From his time until 1820 is the dark age in the profession, as there is no evidence of a resident practitioner unless it be Dr. Francis, of Ebensburg. In that year Dr. Robert Young began to practice in Ebensburg, having studied medicine with Dr. Stewart, of Indiana. Dr. Young married Charlotte Henderson, a sister of Mrs. Moses Canan, about 1824, while living there and they had two children--Samuel, who died in California, and Mary, who died in Oregon. Dr. Young removed to Wyota, Wisconsin, in 1841, dying there about 1850.
The next was Dr. Armand Aristide Rodrigue, who located in Ebensburg in 1839, only to remain there until 1847, when he moved to Hollidaysburg. He was born in Philadelphia, August 10, 1810, and married Ann Caroline Bellas, of Sunbury. Being the attendant physician to Rev. Dr. Gallitzin in his last illness, the dying man gave him a Greek cross, which is represented as made from the wood of the true cross and had an authenticated history in the eyes of the Gallitzin family. The cross is now in possession of Hugh Bellas Rodrigue, of Pittsburgh. In 1855 Dr. Rodrigue moved to Lecompton, Kansas, as a Free State advocate and there was an aide to John Brown. He died in Kansas, June 11, 1857.
Ebensburg had two other physicians about this time: Dr. David Lewis, who was there until about 1862, died subsequently in Pittsburgh; and Dr. William A. Smith, who was there in the forties.