|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.1|
|History of Cambria County, V.1|
|552||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
Henrietta Lacock, youngest daughter of Gen. Abner Lacock, of Beaver county, Sept. 1, 1831. Gen. Lacock was a member of congress in 1811-13, and a United States senator 1813-1819, and died at Freedom, Pennsylvania, April 12, 1837. 5. Eliza, married Dr. Charles G. Phythian, who came to Johnstown in 1829. (See Medical Profession.) 6. Louisa married S. Moylan Fox, a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of West Point. He was a civil engineer on the Portage railroad at the time of their marriage, and died in New Orleans. Louisa died at the home of her sister, Mrs. Chamberlain, in Cleveland, in 1873.
John Linton, the second, became a clerk in the store of Silas Moore, in Ebensburg, when he was sixteen; at nineteen he opened a store on Main street, Johnstown, next to his mother's residence. He and Silas Moore formed a partnership and engaged in business on the southwest corner of Main and Franklin streets. In a short time he purchased Mr. Moore's interest and made a new partnership with Joseph Chamberlain, his brother-in-law. They removed their store to the northeast corner of Main and Clinton streets, where they erected the Wild building, which was destroyed in the flood of 1889. John Linton and Adelaide Lacock Linton had eight children, one of whom, Anna Park, married James Moore Swank.
Mr. Linton became captain of the Conemaugh Guards about 1840, and commanded it until he left Johnstown in 1853; he was also inspector of the brigade, which gave him the title of major. He was a Whig, and as such was elected to the general assembly in 1842 and '43. In 1845 he lost the prothonotaryship to Gen. Joseph McDonald. In 1850 he was again elected to the assembly, and in 1852 was a Scott presidential elector.
In 1845 John Linton gave up the mercantile business and entered into partnership with William Huber and Jacob Myers in the manufacture of pig iron. They built the Somerset furnace at Forwardstown and put it in blast in 1846. The next year he sold his interest there and purchased the share of Peter Levergood in the Mount Vernon Furnace at Johnstown, which was built in 1845-46, and was the first furnace erected within what is now the limits of Johnstown opposite the Pennsylvania railroad station. It was subsequently known as the Linton and Galbreath Furnace. John Linton, George Merriman and Col. Thomas J. Power built several sections of the Pennsylvania railroad at and above Johnstown, beginning near Swank's brick works and extending to Cambria City. He removed to Rochester in 1853