You are here:   Cambria > Townships > Gallitzin

Hosted by:  Diann Olsen

 Gallitzin Cemeteries
 
Amsbry Union Cemetery
Bennington Cemetery
St. Joseph (Polish) Cemetery
St. Joseph (RC) Cemetery
St. Mary Cemetery
St. Patrick Cemetery
St. Thomas Cemetery
Union Cemetery
Union Methodist Cemetery

 Gallitzin Communities
 
Amsbry
Bennington An extinct community
  (actually located in Blair Co.) but
  very near the borough of Gallitzin
Buckhorn
Elstie
Gallitzin
Syberton
Wildwood Springs

 Other Gallitzin Links
 
USGS Map of Gallitzin

High on the crest of the Allegheny mountains is located Gallitzin Township formed on June 4, 1866, from a portion of Allegheny Township. The name was given in honor of the famous prince-priest, Father Demetrius Gallitzin, who traversed this area administering to his parishioners in the early part of the nineteenth century.

This township has within it two features pertaining to the history of transportation within the county. The first is the famous Gallitzin Tunnels of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Main Line. These are among the longest tunnels in the world; the east bound one being 2,000 feet in length, and the west bound one 3,612 feet long. When completed in 1853, they made possible the crossing of the top of the mountain for the railroad. The village of Tunnel Hill is situated high above the tunnels and adjacent to the borough of Gallitzin.

The second of the features connected with transportation is the route of the Kittanning Path, historic Indian and Colonial route from the east to the west. This path crossed at a point just south of the town of Coupon after access had been gained to the top of the mountain by way of Kittanning Gap.

One of the earliest communities in the township was Amsbry, founded in 1819 by W. W. Amsbry and a Mr. Spindley. As this area was heavily forested, lumbering became an important industry. Lumber cut here was sent down Clearfield Creek and by way of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River on to Lock Haven and Williamsport. By the latter part of the nineteenth century mining became prominent and Amsbry became a mining community.

Coupon likewise became important as a mining town. The name of this community was derived from the practice of paying the miners in scrip or coupons to be redeemed at the company store.

Before 1800, a grist mill was constructed at the junction of Bradley Run and Clearfield Creek. Built originally by John Storm, the mill was later known as Dawson's. Today the location is known as Syberton.

Last Updated: 24 Feb 2014
Copyright © 2000-2014, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen, and contributors