You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

emy's rifle-pits. Two men from this regiment killed and 1 officer and 14 men wounded.
    Friday, March 31. Capt. Moore took charge of our forces on picket line and advanced his line, capturing the enemy's rifle pits and all his picket force on our front, about 150 men, including two commissioned officers. Three men of this regiment wounded.
    Sunday, April 2. Lieut. (Martin V.) Sorber (Co. 1), in charge of our picket line, advanced in connection with the balance of the line, driving the enemy from their works and capturing from them a stand of colors; advanced inside the enemy's main works toward Petersburg, and rejoined the regiment, which had advanced in the same direction, near Fort Baldwin. The regiment then supported the assault upon Forts Gregg and Baldwin, which were taken, when we occupied Fort Baldwin. One officer from this regiment killed and 1 officer and 4 men wounded.
    Monday, April 3. Took up the line of march toward Lynchburg, Va.; marched 13 miles.
    Tuesday, April 4. Marched 14 miles along the South Side Railroad toward Lynchburg.
    Wednesday, April 5. We marched until noon in the same direction; stopped two and a half hours at Block's and White's Station, to guard forks of roads, until General Birney came up. Relieved by a portion of his command and resumed the march; arrived at Burkeville that night, having marched 27 miles.
    Thursday, April 6. Marched 7 miles, during five of which this regiment was on duty as skirmishers and flankers; met the enemy near Rice's Station and engaged him until dark, having nine men wounded.
    Friday, April 7. We marched 10 miles to Farmville and bivouacked to wait for rations.
    Saturday, April 8. We marched 28 miles, still in the same direction, toward Lynchburg; halted at 12 o'clock at night.
    Sunday, April 9. Resumed the march at 3 a.m.; marched 2 miles; halted, and took our position in line of battle. At 7 a.m. moved forward 1 mile and formed a new line of battle. Skirmished with and drove the enemy 1 1/2 miles, through woods most of the way; bivouacked in front of him while negotiations were pending. At 4 p.m. received the intelligence that General Lee had surrendered, and went into camp near Appomattox Court House, where we still remain. * *

    Col. Harlan, Col. Spear, and Col. Stratton. Lieut. Col. James A. Skelly
    Capt. James A. Skelly's Company G joined Harlan's Light Calvary, an independent regiment authorized by the Secretary

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 21 Mar 2003, Last Updated:
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors