You are here:   Cambria > Past Events > 1893 Cambria Freeman
Past Events

Unless otherwise indicated, all information on this page was
extracted and contributed by Lisa Baker.


Friday, 21 Apr 1893


After a long illness Maggie, wife of William McGough, died at her home, in Altoona on Monday morning, of a complication of diseases. Besides her husband she is survived by four sons and two daughters. One brother, Jack McMullen, of Fallen Timber, and one sister, Mrs. James E. Neason, of Altoona also survive.

Friday, 28 Apr 1893


Jesse Plummer, an old resident of Altoona, died at his home in that city on Friday last, after a long illness. The deceased was born near Wilmore, in this county, on the 13th of October, 1814, and was at the time of his death 78 years, 6 months and 2 days old.

Mr. Joseph Criste, one of Washington township's oldest and best citizens died at his home on Wednesday morning after a week's illness from pneumonia, aged 81 years. Mr. Criste had been a resident of Cambria county for sixty years and was always regarded as an honest, upright man. He is survived by his wife; three brothers, James, of Altoona; Daniel, of Summit; Augustus, of Missouri; and one sister, Mrs. Inlow, of Altoona. Funeral will take place on Friday morning. Services will be held in St. Aloysius Catholic church, at Summit, and interment will be made in the cemetery attached.

Friday, 12 May 1893


Paulinus, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Parrish, of Cambria township, died on Monday, May 8th, aged about 12 years. The remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery in this place on Wednesday.

On Tuesday afternoon Mr. Caleb A. Gray, of Hastings, while walking on the railroad track at that place, stopped off to avoid a train that was meeting him, in front of another train that was approaching from the opposite direction, and was struck and thrown upon the track, the wheels of the cars severing the head from the body. The deceased was one of the most respected citizens of Hastings and was well-known throughout the northern part of the county, where he had many friends. He was about 50 years of age and leaves a wife and family.

Friday, 14 Jul 1893


Mrs. Otto Biter died at her home in Loretto, Sunday after a long illness. Her remains were interred in St. Michael's cemetery on Tuesday.

Mr. Jacob Pringle, of Summerhill township, near Wilmore, died at his home in that township on Saturday from paralysis, aged about 70 years.

Mr. Julius Stich, who a few years ago was a well-known citizen of Carrolltown, died on Friday last at his home in Altoona, where he has resided for several years past. His remains were interred in St. Benedict's cemetery at Carrolltown on Sunday.

Marriage Licenses.

-Lawrence Frank Warner, Chest township, and Rosie Annie Schempf, Elder township
-Jonathan Augustin Stoy and Margaret A. Miller, Allegheny township

Friday, 28 Jul 1893

Killed in a Tunnel.

An accident occurred in the Gallitzin tunnel about 7:45 o'clock on Monday morning, the victim being Theodore Yeagley, a track hand. He had been at work with the division men when a west bound train came along. All of the men had gotten into what is known as a manhole, out of the way of the train. Yeagley had left his lamp in the middle of the track and had started back to get it when he was run down. The pilot of the engine struck him on the head and knocked him along the side of the tunnel. When he was discovered by his friends the only injury to his person was about his head. The deceased man was aged about 40 years, and had been in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company for about fifteen years. He leaves a wife and two children, one boy and one girl, to mourn him, all of whom reside at Gallitzin.

Friday,18 Aug 1893

Church Dedication.

The corner stone of the new Catholic church at St. Augustine, Pa., was placed in position on Sunday evening, August 6th, 1893, with all the imposing ceremonies of the Catholic church. Rev. O. P. Gallagher, of Pittsburg, Pa., was the orator on the occasion and preached a very eloquent and impressive sermon.
This new church of brick is to replace an old frame structure, yet solid and substantial, although built in the year 1846, by Rev. Father Gallagher, then pastor of Loretto, and dedicated the year following by the Rt. Rev. Bishop O'Connor, of happy memory, first bishop of the diocese of Pittsburg. There are some men in this congregation who assisted to clear the ground for this old church, at that time this being all woods; among whom are John Nagle, Sr. and Jas. McFeeley.

Friday, 25 Aug 1893


Mr. Joseph Burgoon, until recently a citizen of Portage township, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Michael Egan, in Altoona, on Thursday, August 17th aged 81 years, 1 month and 7 das Te deceased was born in Loretto in July, 1812, and during his early life lived for six years with Dr. Gallitzin. Soon after attaining manhood he located in the vicinity of Sonman where he built a saw-mill and for many years carried on the lumber business. About two years ago he removed to Altoona and took up his residence with his daughter. He leaves to survive him one son, F. J. Burgoon, who is train dispatcher on the Cambria & Clearfield railroad, residing at Cresson and one daughter, residing at Cresson, Mrs. Henrietta Egan. His aged wife also survives him.

Friday, 20 Oct 1893


Harry W. Baker, a liveryman, of South Fork, died at his home in that place on Saturday morning from typhoid fever, after a four weeks' illness. He is survived by his wife and one child about a year old. His parents and several brothers and sisters also survive him.

Harry McCombie, of Susquehanna township, met with a serious accident while gunning last Friday, which will cost him the thumb and two fingers of his left hand. He had been shooting with cartridges he had loaded himself when he placed in the gun a factory loaded cartridge, and on firing it the barrel of the gun exploded, tearing away half of his hand. It is feared that his entire hand will have to be amputated. Carrolltown News.

Peter A. McGough, one of Cambria county's oldest residents, died at his home in Fallen Timber on Sunday, October 15th, aged 84 years and 11 months. The deceased was, up until some 10 or 12 years ago, a resident of Clearfield township where he owned a farm and served the neighborhood as a justice of the peace, in the latter calling having the confidence of all who knew him as an honest man and conscientious in the in his (sic) administration of justice. About ten years ago he removed to Fallen Timber where he kept a little store and was appointed postmaster on the opening up of the Cresson & Coalport railroad. He leaves to survive him a widow and one son.

Friday, 17 Nov 1893

Mrs. James Kingston of Irvona died at her home in that place on Friday, November 10, 1893, from typhoid fever. Her remains were entered in the Catholic Cemetery at St. Lawrence on Monday. She leaves seven small children. Four of whom are prostrated with the same disease. A daughter age 15 died only a short time ago.

Mrs. Mary Doran, relict of James Doran, died at her home in Summerhill Township, on Tuesday, November 14, 1893, aged about 83 years. The deceased was one of the oldest residents of Summerhill Township, and the mother of the well-known Doran family. She had been an invalid for a number of years.

Friday, 24 Nov 1893

DORAN -- Died at her residence in Summerhill Township, Wednesday, November 15, 1893, Mrs. Mary, relict of the late James Doran, aged 82 years. The deceased, whose maiden name was Kennedy, was born in County Longford, Ireland, where she was married, but emigrated to America shortly afterwards, with her husband lived a short time in the eastern part of the state, settling in Wilmore about 1832 and about ten years afterward on the farm in Summerhill Township, where both spent the remaining years of their lives. Mr. Doran having died about six years ago. Of the eleven children of this union who have lived to be grown up women and men, Lizzie, Mrs. Jennie Leahey, Katie, William and Thomas live on the old homestead; James, Patrick, and Michael are well known and trusty railroad engineers, the former two of whom live in Wilkinsburg, and the latter in Altoona. Mary, now Sister M. Ligouri, is Mother Superior of the Convent of Mercy at Anoka, Minn. Maggie died in 1867 and John in 1862. Mrs. Doran was a person whose whole life was devoted to the welfare of her family, and even in her protracted and painful illness, which extended over a period of nine years, her children could not prevail upon her to desist from laboring for them. She was a faithful member of the Catholic Church and was highly respected by a large circle of friends and neighbors. Her remains were laid to rest after a high mass of requiem in the Catholic Church in Wilmore and an appropriate funeral sermon by Rev. Father McHugh, by the side of her husband and other deceased members of her family in the family burial place in the cemetery on Friday last.

Page Created: 2002.
Last Updated:
Copyright 2000-2008, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors